Saturday, June 4, 2011

First Swim Meet

It is not quite 2 pm and it has already been a very long day. Boogs decided he wanted to participate in a swim meet for the Typhoons. So, we had to get up and leave the apartment by 5:40 this morning. I have never had to wake Boogs up for anything before today. He is always such an early riser (5:45 - 6:15) that he usually wakes me up. He was NOT happy and told me that I was making him angry by messing with his sleep. Once we got to the pool, he was fine. He swam three heats today - 25 meter freestyle, 25 meter backstroke, and 25 meter breaststroke. It was so much fun to watch the little kiddos swim. I was a lane timer, so I did not see much of Boogs for the three hours we were at the pool. He swam his freestyle pretty well. He was good on his backstroke. But, the breaststroke was a mess. He complained and cried about the coach assigning him the breaststroke. He said, "The kick on the breaststroke makes me feel like I am doing the splits. I hate it." Poor little guy. He did it anyway. He did not hear the buzzer for the start of the race, so he jumped in at least a quarter length behind everyone else. Boogs finished his 25 meters about 3 minutes after the other 7 competitors were finished. The announcer did not even see him still struggling his way down the lane and almost started the next heat on top of Boogs. His lane timer had to yell and wave his arm to get the announcer to stop the start of the next heat. Everyone had to wait for Boogs to finish. By the time he had a quarter of his swim left, at least 50 people were calling his name and shouting encouragement to him. It was sweet and sad at the same time.
Freestyle

Finishing the freestyle.

Upset on ready bench before breaststroke.

Last minute breaststroke advice.

Swimming slowly to the finish.

Almost there, just need a two-handed touch.


Swimming the backstroke a little sideways .
Boogs and his sweet friend,
who he calls "the girl of my dreams".
After he got out of the pool, his friend came over to him and patted him on the back. Boogs told her he had been really anxious about being able to swim the breaststroke. She said, "It's okay. I know how you feel. I was nervous about swimming the butterfly. We both did it." It was the cutest thing, ever.

2 comments: