Friday, March 9, 2012

Lunches March 5th - 9th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read two books to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks. 

Bean Thirteen by Matthew McElligott
Boogs asked me to read this book to him again, right after we read it for the first time.  Bean Thirteen is about two bugs who are gathering beans. One bug picks the 13th bean, which is unlucky. The two bugs then try to figure out how to equally share the beans so everyone will get the same amount. I gave Boogs 13 Lego pieces to work with while we read the story. It is a cute math story. In the lunchbox: two pb&j bug sandwiches, 13 pistachio "beans", cheesestick, Clif bar, trail mix, blueberries, and salad.



Counting out different groups
of Legos for each person added
to the dinner party.
Boogs asked me to make my
hand into a bowl for the final
pages of the story.
The Cut-ups by James Marshall
This story is about two little boys who are always up to mischief.  They even tied a boy onto their kite and flew him up into the sky. The new girl they meet is even trickier than these cut-ups. Boogs had me read this to him several times this week. In the lunchbox: Babybel Cut-ups, almond butter & jelly kite, blueberries, strawberries, salad, and yogurt.

Walden Then & Now, An Alphabetical Tour of Henry Thoreau's Pond by Michael McCurdy
This is such a beautiful book! Each letter has a wood engraving illustration, a simple sentence, and a short paragraph explaining how Walden Pond and its surrounding areas have changed since Thoreau's time. Boogs favorite letter was X, "X is for the unknown word we'd need for a good rhyme". There are source notes at the end of the book that show some of the paragraphs in "Walden" where Thoreau mentioned the items in this book in his writing. In the lunchbox: eagle and hare sandwiches, sesame stick "kindling", trail mix for "seeds", dried papaya, spinach, and strawberries.

Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester
Tacky is not like any of the other penguins. Luckily, his differences save all of the penguins.  In the lunchbox: pb&j penguin, fish from the sea, chicken, broccoli, Babybel cheese, and dried apricot.
Scooby Doo Sight Words Parade Mystery
Boogs loves Scooby Doo! My previous attempt at a Scooby Doo sandwich had better results than this one.  Boogs  did tell me that he liked this Scooby, too. In the lunchbox: Scooby Doo pg&j sandwich holding a fruit leather paintbrush, tomato balloons, Babybel with paint can cutout, blueberries, and couscous.

(Originally posted January 6th)
Scooby-Doo! Snow Monster Mystery
We got a set of these Scooby-Doo Sight Word mysteries from Boogs' kindergarten Scholastic book order. In the lunchbox - Scooby-Doo ham&cheese sandwich, extra ham, raisins, pretzels, Babybel cheese that had "Scooby Snack" written on it (I think the words are on the opposite side of the cheese), kiwi, and broccoli. Boogs thought the Scooby sandwich was "awesome". 


Be sure to checkout the wonderful sites I link to on my side bar!

21 comments:

  1. So many fun lunches! I love Tacky the Penguin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to check out the "Bean Thirteen" book- sounds like the perfect book to me--- food and math!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author of "Bean Thirteen" also wrote "The Lion's Share, a Tale of Halving Cake and Eating It Too". It was mathematically over Boogs' head but it was a great concept.

      Delete
  3. I HAVE to do a Scooby lunch now! Reba loves him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make one of these a week and struggle to make them look as wonderful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog! You do so many wonderful things every week.

      Delete
  5. That's so cute and creative. Are you familiar with Japanese lunches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These lunches are my Americanized version of the Japanese Bento.

      Delete
  6. This is such a clever idea, and you're amazing to make it all happen so fabulously. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Scoopy Doos! Thanks for linking up at Bento Blog Network.

    Your header picture makes me wish it was summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That header is a couple of years old, but I love it too much to change it. :-)

      Delete
  8. I love how you've paired lunches with books. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun. I love the lunches with the books. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you are having a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for allowing me to participate in your wonderful linky party at Sharing Saturday!

      Delete
  10. The bugs and dogs are so cool! Another week of awesome lunches!! Thank you so much for sharing on Teach Me Tuesday! Your meals have inspired me so many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love all the great ideas I find at you linky party on Teach Me Tuesday!

      Delete
  11. I love your Scooby Doo both are so awesome! I really wish I could draw! I am also loving the cute Tacky the penguin, you got the scarf just perfect! And I have to say; Wow, a preschooler who knows who Henry David Thoreau is...! Just wow, you're the top ranking mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Thank you for the kind comments.

      Delete
  12. Your scooby is so cute!!! Love them all, Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you again tomorrow,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete