Friday, May 18, 2012

Lunches May 14th - 18th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read two books to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks. 


Transformers Comic Book by Hasbro
Because it was Mother's Day, my husband put Boogs to bed Sunday night. It was very nice of him. The only thing they read for a bedtime story time was this comic book. After Boogs was asleep, my husband told me this was the worst thing he has ever read, "no plot, unpronounceable made-up words, really had no beginning or ending." I am not a big fan of it either but I still had to try and turn it into lunch for Boogs. In the ELB lunchbox: pb&j Transformer jet that turns into a Transformer robot, cheese stick, Chex Mix Cybertron debris, pears, yogurt, and salad with cucumber letters.  

Thelonius Turkey Lives! by Lynn Rowe Reed
The last time we were at the library, Boogs checked out 3 Christmas books and one Thanksgiving book. I picked out a few other books that were not holiday books. The librarian told us that kids tend to check out Christmas books all year round. Thelonius is the last turkey left on Felicia's Ferguson's Farm. It is almost Thanksgiving and Thelonius is nervous about becoming t-day dinner. He enlists some of the other farm animals to help him play tricks on Felicia because he is not going down without a fight. Boogs enjoyed this book. In the lunchbox: almond butter & jelly Thelonius sandwich with fruit leather feathers, carrot branch, pistachio turkey feed,  yogurt, and applesauce.
Smile! by Leigh Hodgkinson
Sunny has lost her smile. She searches and searches for it and it finally comes back. Boogs told me he looses his smile when he has to take a shower instead of a bath or when he has to clean his room. It sure can be rough when you are a 6-year-old. In the lunchbox: pb&j Sunny sandwich with fruit leather hair, cheese stick eyes, wax smile (not to be eaten, it is one of those flavored wax lips to chew like gum), fruit leather letters, orange slice smiles, and salad.

Who Stole Mona Lisa? by Ruthie Knapp
This book is told with the Mona Lisa picture narrating the story. She tells of how she came to be painted, how she ended up at the Louvre Museum, and how she was kidnapped and missing for two years. I was impressed that Boogs remembered Leonardo da Vinci and his varied works. We read Magic Tree House: Monday With a Mad Genius last summer. Last night when we read the title of our bedtime book, Boogs said, "Oh, I remember this picture and the guy who painted it. He was interested in a lot of things. He painted the Mona Lisa and he tried to make a flying machine and he liked birds to not be in cages."  I love seeing Boogs make literature connections. In the lunchbox: buttered bread Mona Lisa painting, County Line leftover chicken, blueberries, tomatoes, raisins, juice, broccoli and spinach.
Henry Hikes to Fitchburg by D.B. Johnson
This is another picture book inspired by Henry David Thoreau's Walden. Two friends challenge each other to be the first to get to Fitchburg. One will walk the 30 miles while the other will work to earn money to pay for a ticket for the train. This story shows what each of the friends is doing to get to Fitchburg. Henry Bear enjoys his long walk through nature, stops to press flowers in a book, picks blackberries, gathers honey, and takes in the beauty of the countryside. His friend toils all day to earn enough money to rush to the train, ride squished in a train car overcrowded with people, and arrive at dark in Fitchburg. Henry gets there later than his friend and explains that he was late because he stopped to pick blackberries to share. Boogs and I talked about being in nature, remembered our camping trips, the fun we have on our hikes, and our own adventures picking strawberries. During our discussion, I asked him if he enjoys being in nature. He responded, "My heart likes to be in nature, but sometimes my brain messes with me. My brain tells me that I want to stay inside and play Lego Star Wars on the Wii instead of just being in nature." In the ELB lunchbox: pb&j Henry Bear sandwich, cheese butterflies, turkey pepperoni flower, ham walking stick, blackberries, carrots with hummus, and yogurt.



Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post. Be sure to leave me a comment to let me know you stopped by.

10 comments:

  1. I loved getting to hear how his brain works when he is thinking about the outside. Getting holiday books out of season sounds like a great idea!

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't seem to go more than a couple of weeks without reading a holiday book. Boogs seems to gravitate to them.

      Delete
  2. Love all the lunches as always! The Smile one is so cute, puts a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your husband's analysis of the comic book, lol! My daughter went through a Calvin and Hobbes phase where that was her bedtime story of choice at least three nights a week for a month--I just about went crazy! Thankfully, that passed! :) As always, your lunches are amazing--thank you so much for sharing them at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Calvin and Hobbes. I could certainly do without the Transformers. Hopefully this Transformer comic book phase will pass quickly.

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from Triple T Mum. Thanks for sharing with the Kids Co-op! These are amazing. Love the Henry inspired sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful ideas as always!! I know we read holiday books all year round. In fact the nativity figures I needle felted for her are out again. She keeps pulling them out so we can tell the story over and over. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used books as an inspiration for your bentos. How creative. I also found your husband's comment about the comic book really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My son loves his story themed lunches and they are certainly fun for me to make.

      Delete