Friday, May 3, 2013

Lunches April 29th - May 3rd

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read a book or a chapter of a book to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.

I did not make Boogs a lunch on Monday. We had the day off from school and went out to lunch with friends.

13 Words by Lemony Snicket
This book begins with the word Bird. Word #2 lets you know that the bird is Despondent. Boogs used context clues to figure out that despondent means sad and gloomy. The next eleven words (cake, dog, busy, convertible, goat, hat, haberdashery, scarlet, baby, panache, Mezzo-Soprano) are supposed to cheer up the little bird. But being a Lemony Snicket book, the last page tells you that the bird is still despondent. By looking closely at the last illustration, Boogs was able to give me a reason for the bird's sadness. We put part of that reason into his lunch today. There are many opportunities for vocabulary discussions throughout this book. Boogs especially liked verve and swagger. He did not like it when I sang the words (opera style, of course) that the Mezzo-Soprano sang in the story. In the Laptop lunchbox: blue bird (yes, that blue blob is supposed to be a bird, I should have used a cookie cutter) ham & cheese sandwich staring mournfully at the broccoli tree with pretzel trunk, 13 Words written in cheese, orange slices, and yogurt.


White Is For Blueberry by George Shannon
Reading this book is kind of like reading a book of riddles. In very simple text, the author makes a statement that at first does not seem to be true. The first page has a picture of a large black crow but the text says, "Pink is for crow." I asked Boogs to try and guess why that color might be true for crows. When we turned the page, it showed a nest full of pink, featherless  baby crows. Boogs immediately guessed why black is for poppy - "Oh those flowers have the little black seeds that get stuck in your teeth when you eat them on a muffin." Boogs really enjoys these types of books. He loves playing with words and figuring out riddles. In the ELB lunchbox: blueberries, salad, bread ham & cheese sandwich swirls, dried apricot, and raisins.

What's That Awful Smell? by Heather Tekavec

There is a horrible smell coming from the barn. The animals investigate and discover a new piglet in the barn. They try everything they can think of to make the piglet smell better but nothing seems to work. The animals are forced to stay outside, huddled together under the little bit of shade in the yard. Eventually, the animals figure out that it is not the piglet who smells.  The illustrations in this book are adorable. In the ELB lunchbox: almond butter & jelly CuteZcute sandwich, Pringles, blueberries, broccoli, kiwi, and yogurt.


I am not posting Friday's lunch until tomorrow. Bento Bloggers and Friends are getting together to have another May the 4th Be With You Star Wars hop. It will be fun to see all of the creative ways my bento blogger friends have turned lunches into Star Wars images. Check back tomorrow at noon to start the hop on my blog.


Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. I will go check out your linky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all looks like fun books. I love your lunches. They are filled with favorite foods. I am going to pin and share this post.

    ReplyDelete